Sunday 1 February 2015

Internship!

So as part of my Events Management degree at Leeds Met University (I refuse to call it Beckett), I have to work in a placement for a year in the industry. Those that know me, know my first 6 months weren't the best. The centre where I was working didn't really have the facilities to accommodate me and the other 2 students. We would frequently go home as a result of the lack of jobs they had for us. To any one else, going home early is good news, but when you're in it to gain skills and experience, it's a complete waste of time.
In the end, I decided enough was enough. In the year I was supposed to be experiencing all of these new things in the industry I wanted to work in, I wasn't learning a thing. I needed something that was going to challenge and develop me for a career in events.
Then in December, I applied for an internship at a well known dance school in Leeds. Walking in for my interview felt like I'd stepped inside the Fame movie. Dance students were everywhere. Leaping, jumping, shouting, running around. It was like I was this weird, shy, new kid in a sea of eccentric and overly confident performers. Thankfully, I wasn't kept waiting too long.
Long story short, I got the internship and I started at the beginning of January. In the space of 1 week I had learned a lot more than in the 6 months I spent at my other placement.

     I have my own desk!

Whilst I have painted a pretty bad picture of my first internship, I still met some lovely people and gained 2 good friends from my course who I look forward to seeing again in September when we're back at University.


No comments:

Post a Comment