Tuesday 13 January 2015

2014!

I want to try and explain 2014 in a few words to you.
But to be perfectly honest,
I can't.
The best way for me to explain how my 2014 was is to skip back a few years.

Summer 2012
I discovered that I hadn't got into University, which was something I have wanted to do since I was a titch. This was the day before my family went on holiday without me for the first time. At the time I was working at my first job. My boss was a typical hot headed Italian; very passionate about his work. This meant that if you did anything slightly wrong then he would let you know about it. On the day my family went away, I went to work. I was feeling so down I just kept making silly mistakes, resulting in me getting a good telling off.
It doesn't sound that bad to anyone else, but for me, this was definitely the lowest point in my life so far. I felt like a failure for not getting into University then because I felt like I couldn't function without my family, I felt like even more of a failure.
And the cherry on top of the cake: I had just had my braces put on.

2013
My braces come off. My boyfriend, James and I go to Mexico. I go see my absolute number ones at Manchester Arena: ARCTIC MONKEYS. I also decide that this year I will rejoin my family on holiday to Mallorca.
I had re applied to University and had only recieved one offer from Leeds Metropolitan University for Events Management. However, the course requirements were 300 UCAS points.
I had 200.
'Here we go again' I thought. 'Another failed and wasted year'. 
I left it. And eventually forgot all about University and carried on working at the restaurant.
On results day, the day before I went to Mallorca, I see everyone's happy statuses on Facebook about going to University. So I logged on to UCAS to get the closure that I wouldn't be getting in yet again, and I see;
'Congratulations! Your application to study Events Management at Leeds Metropolitan University has been accepted!'
WHAT.
I hadn't done my student finance application. I hadn't planned for this in anyway whatsoever.
So naturally, I ran upstairs to my mum (who was still asleep as it was only 8am) and practically screamed in her face.
I suddenly felt so proud of myself and so incredibly happy. Like I had finally achieved something.
So after stressing about my student finance and getting my head around it all, we jetted off to sunny Mallorca the next day and when I came back, started a whole new adventure.


2014
I finish first year with a 2:1 overall. I go see my most favourite comedian, Lee Evans perform live. 12 year old me buzzes with excitement as I also go to see McBusted live. I land myself my first retail job where I meet some of my most favourite people in the world. Northern School of Contemporary Dance hire me as their Events and Marketing Intern for my placement year. I go to Salou, and I also go on my family holiday to Mallorca again - but this time James comes with us. I get drunk so many times and make an absolute fool of myself in the process as I celebrate so many different things and meet so many new people on the way, 2012 is completely forgotten.


All in all, I know this post is a bit lengthy just to tell you how good 2014 was, but it just goes to show what a difference a year can make. Summer 2013 is when everything kicked off for me and it just keeps getting better. I'm excited to see what 2015 brings - I wonder where I'm at this time next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment